University California, Santa Cruz: BA in Theater Arts with a Dance emphasis, specializing in Creative Movement for Children and Modern Dance Theater
San Francisco State University: CLAD (Cross Cultural Language and Academic Development) Multiple Subject Teaching Credential
Performing and teaching in the Santa Cruz and Benito County schools through the SPECTRA (artists in the schools) program, and being a parent volunteer here at Pacific Elementary, inspired me to become a teacher.
I was originally hired in 1999 at Pacific Elementary to coordinate the Title 1 program. I trained and became a certified Reading Recovery teacher in 2000/2001 and taught my own version of "Math Recovery", using strategies from the Lindamood Bell Cloud Nine math program.
While coordinating our small homeschool program in 2002, I was offered the opportunity to develop the current Independent Study program in 2004. Now in its sixth year, the program has grown into the one of a kind "hybrid" that it is today, combining classroom participation with home-based learning. Working together with families that are dedicated to educating their children alternatively keeps my job both challenging and rewarding.
- 2 trainings with CASBO on Operating Guidelines for Independent Study
- Brain-Compatible Differentiated Instruction with Martha Kaufeldt
- Brain Based Learning Seminar
- Reading Recovery
- Practical Strategies for Differentiating Classroom Instruction
- Kids Included Together (KIT) Training - about Full Inclusion
- Making Math Real
- Asperger Syndrome: The Complexities and Subtleties
- Dyslexia Education
- Social Skill Development in Children with Special Needs
- CPR and First Aid
- Strategies to Effectively Use the Best Children's Books of the Decade
- Step Up To Writing
- Making Math Real
I believe that with the right amount of good training, wisdom, perseverance, and love, a teacher can make a difference, because the children are the future of our planet!
When not at school I enjoy spending time with my family, friends, and animals, maintaining and developing my 5.5-acre off-grid lifestyle in the mountains, experiencing nature, and dancing.